Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Share by Email

Skip to content

Key resources

  • Bibliography
    Bibliography
  • Health promotion
    Health promotion
  • Health practice
    Health practice
  • Yarning places
    Yarning places
  • Programs
    Programs
  • Organisations
    Organisations
  • Conferences
    Conferences
  • Courses
    Courses
  • Funding
    Funding
  • Glossary
    Glossary
 

Cashless Debit Card Trial

 

Overview

The Cashless Debit Card Trial is a Commonwealth Government income management initiative that aims to support communities in locations where high levels of welfare dependence exist alongside high levels of harm related to drug and alcohol use. The cashless debit card changes the way in which people who receive Centrelink receive and spend their fortnightly payments. Recipients receive 80% of their Centrelink payment onto the cashless debit card with the remaining 20% being paid into a regular bank account. The cashless debit card operates like a normal bank card, except it cannot be used to buy alcohol or gambling products, or to withdraw cash.

The trial began in Ceduna, South Australia, in March 2016 and was extended to Kununurra and Wyndham in Western Australia in April 2016.

Adapted from Department of Social Services

Contacts

Cashless Debit Card Trial
Ph: 1800 252 604
Email: debitcardtrial@dss.gov.au

Related publications

The Anangu Lands Paper Tracker (2016)

Paper Tracker radio show - Cashless Debit Card.

: The Anangu Lands Paper Tracker

Evaluated publications

ORIMA Research (2017)

Cashless debit card trial evaluation: wave 1 interim evaluation report.

Melbourne: Australian Department of Social Services

Australian Department of Social Services (2016)

Cashless Debit Card Trial progress report.

Canberra: Australian Department of Social Services

ORIMA Research (2017)

Evaluation of the cashless debit card trial - initial conditions report.

Melbourne: Australian Department of Social Services

Hunt J (2017)

The cashless debit card trial evaluation: a short review.

Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research

Links

 
Last updated: 23 August 2017
 
Return to top
 
spacing
 


Australia's National Research Centre on AOD Workforce Development National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre National Drug Research Institute